If You are Outraged by Libya, Here’s How You Can Help
Many of us are at loss for words as we watch and learn more of modern day slavery taking place in Libya. For those wondering what they can do, Bustle shared seven ways we can help.
- Make sure the U.N. focuses its efforts on slave trading. SN: Nikki Haley is our United Nations Ambassador and also known for not wanting to come in to work, so you may want to watch that.
- Support the International Organization for Migration (IOM). IOM is working in Libya to develop alternatives to migrant detention centers and demanding those involved in slave trading or abuse be held accountable. You can donate here.
- Poverty is said to be the root cause of slave trading, so donating to development organizations that help refugees and work on country-wide aid and development, either in Libya or in the countries from which migrants are fleeing helps. A few of the organizations suggested are United Nations Refugee Agency World Food Program, Save The Children, Oxfam, and Medecins Sans Frontieres.
- Slave traders are using videos of imprisoned migrants to extort their captives’ family members. Contact your social media providers like Facebook and ask them to ban use of their services for these types of videos.
- Organizations like Free the Slaves, End Slavery Now, and the Polaris Projectare working to end modern day slavery. Again, DONATE!
- Raise awareness. Free the Slaves provides a list of recommended ways you can help spread awareness of modern day slavery and combat it.
- Shop slave free. Stop buying products made from slave labor. End Slavery Now has a slave free shopping guide.
Note: Also as a Black woman, I feel inclined to mention that the private prisons in our country operate in a similar manner as modern day slavery.
Also the people being held against their will are not Libyans; they are said to be from Cameroon, Niger, and many other countries that require passage through Libya to get to Europe. Just a note for those posting “Pray for Libya”, though we do need higher power there right now.
To read the full article visit, Bustle or click here.
Russell Simmons Accused of Sexual Assault & Steps Down From His Businesses
Russell Simmons stepped down from his position at his various companies today amidst another sexual harassment and assault claim by screenwriter Jenny Lumet.
Lumet published a guest column in Hollywood Reporter this morning detailing her assault by Simmons in 1991. Personally as a woman with a vivid imagination, it was very emotional for me to read, but I did. You can read it here.
Simmons released this is in a statement. “I have been informed with great anguish of Jenny Lumet’s recollection about our night together in 1991. I know Jenny and her family and have seen her several times over the years since the evening she described. While her memory of that evening is very different from mine, it is now clear to me that her feelings of fear and intimidation are real. While I have never been violent, I have been thoughtless and insensitive in some of my relationships over many decades and I sincerely and humbly apologize.”
He said he doesn’t want his legal battles to be a distraction from his businesses. Read more here.
TRUMP USES “POCAHONTAS” RACIAL SLUR DURING EVENT HONORING NATIVE AMERICAN WORLD WAR II VETS IN FRONT OF ANDREW JACKSON PORTRAIT… #
If you have more news you think the Black millennials need to know but may be too busy to read, let me know so I can break it down in my recaps.