Let me first start off by saying that 2016 was a phenomenal year that I wasn’t really expecting. It was like a good drama with all the plot twist, faux friends, and trips with an anticipated happy ending.
This year, I got to live a life I could not have predicted. I got to travel the states and speak, became a best-selling author and made serious connections. My radio show was born and much more. It was a year of first, topped off with having a dress made for me by a great designer, Mrs Kenya Kersey. I bring this up because our conversation at the beginning of this process gave me an aha moment. She asked me what designers do I like to wear so she could get an idea of my size. I drew a blank and then it dawned on me I had NEVER wore “designer” clothes. Lol, some might find that hard to believe, but I don’t spend money on clothes for “names”, that is just not my thing.
However, this question made me think of all my first in 2016. Sometimes, when we live a fast life we don’t slow down enough to think. Well, I did and it gave me goosebumps. Not only for my “new” first, but for all my future first. All of that without expectation or was it expected in the back of my mind? I looked at my vision board for 2016 and it reminded me I actually put on there “more dressy clothes.” Told y’all they work.
Well, with 2017, around the corner, I am fully expecting! No, I am not pregnant with a baby, but expectation. I will be 40 next year and who doesn’t have a fabulous 40th year? We should all expect something new and great in our lives. At the end of the day you get what you expect.
Here are some tips on WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU ARE EXPECTING?
- Everyone is not going to be happy or support you (there are limited people allowed in the delivery room)
- You will have sleepless nights (baby getting adjusted to the growth)
- You will have extreme highs filled with aha moments (we are talking that first kick that scared you but then it confirmed your baby was moving around)
- You will have some lows filled with doubtful moments (when you don’t feel the kick)
- Hindsight is 20/20..sometimes you have to look backwards to see what you have learned (you know when you ate something that baby didn’t like)
- You have to have a general idea of what you are expecting to prepare for it (nursery prep colors and all-i.e. vision boards/journals)
- You have to be confident that it will go exactly how it is supposed to go (the doctors can tell you a girl but then it is a boy, still a blessing)
- You need a team just like you have in the delivery room (someone to go to when the labor gets hard or you have those weird cravings)
- Give yourself a break every expectation has a unique path/outcome (just like every pregnancy is different)
- When it happens ….rejoice and bask in the moment (now the real work begins…parenthood)
What are you 2017 expectations? You should expect something! Oh, as far as the dress, I ended up going to get measured, another first!
Peace & Love,